Each year, University of Iowa Staff Council (UISC) receives money from the contract between the UI and Coca-Cola. These funds are available to allocate for various awards, events and professional development opportunities, all benefiting University of Iowa staff. We encourage University of Iowa departments and staff members to apply for this funding!
What do we fund?
Successful applications from staff usually fall under one of the following four categories:
- Professional Development and Education: Much of this funding is allocated directly to the Mary Jo Small Fellowship and Tuition Assistance programs.
- Outreach: Example: UISC has awarded funds to The University of Iowa Health Fair in previous years.
- Recognition and Reward: Example: UISC has funded the Staff Appreciation Grant Program and UI Diversity Catalyst Awards in previous years.
- Board of Regents Staff Excellence Awards: UISC annually selects recipients and funds these awards at a standing allocation of $6,000.
To allocate UISC funds beyond any standing allocations, UISC accepts applications via webform. The UISC Executive Committee reviews each application and makes decisions regarding funding.
Should I apply for UISC funds directly?
UISC allocates funding to several established programs for allocation and awarding directly to applicants, based on each program's awarding criteria. Before applying directly for UISC funding, we encourage you to visit the following funding sources for more information to see if your application would be best served by these programs:
- For groups seeking funding for appreciation/recognition efforts in their specific area (not intended for campus-wide or shared governance event, apply for UISC funds for these purposes).
- First qualified are first served; funding is limited
- For up to $300 total or $10/staff member
- The Mary Jo Small Staff Fellowship is an award that University of Iowa staff members may use to help defray costs associated with regional, national, or international meetings or workshops, as well as a variety of other non-academic professional development opportunities on and off-campus
- Application deadlines: February 28 and August 31
- For up to $1,500 total
- To help defray the cost of tuition for one college credit course.
- Application deadline: The second Friday of the month in May (summer), July (fall) or December (spring).
Apply for UISC Funds
If your application does not fit best for any of the above programs, we encourage you to apply for UISC funds!
Deadline: Applications are accepted/considered from August 1-May 31 and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis based on application merit. Funding is limited.
Contact us if you have questions about staff recognition and development funding and the UISC funds: firstname.lastname@example.org or (319) 335-3600.